View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 04, 2009, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Botched Double play: Mechanic Help

Tailor-made 4-6-3 double play, great stop by F4, perfect feed to F6 coming across the bag, but....................

As F6 is catching the ball while coming across second, he never makes a catch (ball hits him in the gut, bobbles it a little, and drops it on the ground)

Runner thinking that the he would be out, and not causing contact, slid a good 10 ft. short of the bag. Well he got stuck in the muddy infield and then saw the ball dropped and had to scramble to second.

F6 recovered the ball and tried tagging the runner while scrambling towards the base.

My question is what is the proper verbal and visual mechanic for this?
The one I did was a double safe call. I called safe as he juggled the ball and thinking he was going to hang on and throw to first for the BR. I then did verbal/visual safe as they tried to scramble back to the bag

Afterwards, my thinking is that I probably shouldn't have said safe in the first "play" as the runner isn't technically safe, yet. My thinking would be that it should maybe be a "NO" verbal and the safe visual call and then if he tries to throw to first, make that call, then come back pointing towards second saying "Safe" while giving that signal along with a visul "juggling" mechanic. In this situation I think that I could give the "No" and safe visual, and then the verbal and visual "Safe"

But then I think that we don't say "no" in those types of plays so that's probably not a correct way to do it.

Just thought I would come on here and see if anyone has suggestions about how to handle this. As honestly I've never had this situation happen before. I'e had the juggling, but the runner is always finished his slide into the base.

Thanks for your help