View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
If the try is over and the ball is dead, how does anything B does keep the ball from being made live?
By batting it into the stands. I suppose you could declare it at their disposal and start counting, but I'm going to guess that it will get pretty ugly if you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
However B may slap, bat, throw, or otherwise affect the ball, it's B's ball. Let the clock run and start counting to five.
You''re probably going to have to call something on this play in order to get the bucket counted since it never passed through the basket (and didn't stay in the basket). If the crew is really sharp, you might be able to immediately communicate with the scorekeeper that he bucket was scored prior to being batted..and that would be a stretch...all without blowing the whistle and stopping the clock.

If you have to blow the whistle, and you probably will, then you better come up with something that properly and equitably penalizes the action. Counting the bucket alone may not be adequate.

I still suggest just letting the clock run a couple seconds before blowing the whistle.