View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I'll echo Tim's comments about camp. Camp can only help you improve, even if it doesn't help you move up. I've never seen you work, but my generic advice for somebody with your experience and aspirations would be to attend any respected camp (maybe an IABBO camp) in the summer of 2003 and then find a camp geared specifically for college officials in summer of 2004. I would look for a camp that teaches 3-man mechanics and college philosophies. You might say that seems early to be thinking about college camps. But the fact is that even if you only work 2-man games, you will get a lot out of this kind of camp. If your goal is a certain level, then you might as well start down the path as soon as you're able to do so. If you're still serious about officiating, I would continue to do the best camp I could find, until you get invited to a try-out camp. I waited 6 years before attending any camp. Biggest mistake of my officiating career.

One last note about camps. Go with the right attitude. You have to go with the mindset that you are going to improve your game, period. You're not going to get games or to get hired onto a staff. You're there to pay a lot of money and to learn. So listen to everything everybody says, and ask questions. But do not make excuses or try to explain your mistakes. You don't want to be a "yeah, but" guy. Eventually, you will hopefully impress somebody who says "I'd like you to come down and try out for my conference".

Chuck