View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 01, 2009, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegenref View Post
OK, so I was studying last night and I came across this rule about getting a free kick after a fair catch (or an awarded fair catch). I've read it several times, but I can't ever wrap my mind around what they're trying to say. Can somone explain it to me and/or give me an example of when this has happened to them? Or why any team would want to do that?

I think there was a case where R received a fair catch at the 50 yard line, ran a play (incomplete pass) and there was a fifteen yard penalty (roughing the passer maybe?), so on the next play the captain of A (previously R) requested a free kick since they were now on B's 35 yard line. How does that work?
This is kind of an obscure rule but has become more well known due to recent events (AZ doing it in the playoffs for example).

A team may have a free kick (like a kickoff, I believe with a tee, someone will confirm) after a fair catch or an awarded fair catch. The situation in HS that is very feasible is: punt by K from their own 10 with 8 seconds remaining and K leading by 1 point. The punt is high and short and R1 makes a fair catch at the K 20 with 2 seconds remaining. A (the old R) may elect to take a free kick from the fair catch spot. B would have to be 10 yards back from the spot of the kick.

Two videos I know of this situation:

colorado 67 yard field goal - Google Videos

YouTube - Neil Rackers Free-Kick Field Goal