View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Looks like I'm in good company, then. I failed to mention in my post but I've been umpiring baseball and softball for about 12 years and football for 2. I'm starting to better grasp the idea of advantage/disadvantage so fortunately that won't be a foreign concept to me.

My first training clinic went well last night...except for the fact it turns out they've been doing this for a few weeks already. Ah the joys of moving! Fortunately the training staff was very accomodating and I pretty much jumped right into practicing calling fouls and violations.

The mechanics of rotating, closing down, PCAs and transitions are pretty foreign to me and I'm going to be playing some catch up there. I have an NFHS official's manual on the way but in the mean time, does anybody know of a website that has a crash course on the basics of these things? I'd really appreciate it.

All in all, I think I'm going to really enjoy doing this once I put the time in to learn. Now I need to go order up some uniforms and shoes. I'm thinking Smitty shirts and pants (much to my wife's glee).

It's fun to be the rookie again.
Welcome aboard to the Houston Chapter. Lots of good basketball and some real ugly ones. Let me know what part of town you will work, maybe we can work a few. You can pick up on what not to do from looking at me.