View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RCBSports
Well, let me give you my point of view from being a new official working with others.

When I first, first started out, the older officials would make me do the pregame with the referees, toss the ball, the whole ten yards. Which helped; it helped me learn to step up and be a leader.

Encourage them to participate. They would often talk about getting together to discuss a tough call, such an intentional or an odd play with a weird ruling.

Let the new official know that they shouldn't be afraid to speak up if they know something.

When I first, first started, I often asked the officials what is one thing I need to work on, and let me know at the half. Then during the second half, I would work on correcting it; I would then do the same after the game...I would ask what is something else I need to work on. I would then write it down and try to work on it the following game. From there, my game would improve.

Make them feel like they are wanted. I have too been on the flip side where officials would criticize left and right and make me feel like crap.

So yea, friendly advise, making them like family goes a long way.

Just my two cents.

-Lucas
WVSSAC - MonValley Referee
Little League Baseball Umpire Coordinator