View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
"Fred" said to me, "it's not an issue of whether or not he was out of the box, but whether the batter gained an advantage by doing so." Does stepping out of the box necessarily give the batter an advantage? Not always, and Fred's message was that when it doesn't give the batter an advantage, maybe we shouldn't try to split hairs so much.

However, stepping out of the box often does give the batter certain advantages, such as pulling the ball harder down the line (by stepping back) or hitting an otherwise unhittable pitch (by stepping across). It's during these times, Fred contends, that the call should be made. Otherwise, you're simply splitting hairs, calling a call that really has minimal bearing on the game. And when you're picking boogers like that, we all know where that can land you.

Making these calls is something that every umpire must evaluate when setting foot on the field, and we do it every day. In our Tuesday night rec leagues, do we make everyone wear proper uniforms? Do we make them all turn their hats forward? In 10U, do we call every single illegal pitch when the pitcher gained no advantage? By the letter of the rule, shouldn't we be making these calls? Why aren't we?

Simple. No advantage gained, nothing lost, no call.

And now, how does this help us with a offensive coach whose batter just got called out? Simple. "Coach, the batter stepped out of the box and hit a pitch that would have been otherwise unhittable. In my judgment, he gained an unfair advantage by doing so, and we can't allow that to happen." You're telling the coach you're not out to pick nits, but rather to keep things on an even keel. Isn't that what we're supposed to be doing in the first place?

I hope that I've done justice to the 15-minute conversation that "Fred" and I had that day.
And what do you tell the catcher that saw the player contact the ball with the foot on the ground completely outside of the BB?

You now have to either lie to the catcher (which I just will not do to anyone) or tell the player, "You're correct, but IMJ the batter did not gain an advantage by violating the rule, so I'm not calling it." Now you just set yourself up for a protest as you just admitted to misinterpreting a rule, unless FRED is the UIC.

Actually, I'm not completely opposed to what FRED is trying to sell, just that I realize there are two teams on the field that voluntarily agreed to play by a certain set of rules. I also am of the belief you don't nit pick, but can someone tell me where the line between nit picking and doing you job is drawn? You ever have someone tell you that if you have to go look for it, you probably shouldn't call it?

But let's talk the theory of advantage/disadvantage. If a batter hits a ball he normally would not have been able to hit, that means the pitch would have been called a ball. Where is the advantage? Many OBS are relatively routine and really didn't give anyone an edge, but we call it anyway, don't we?

Where is the advantage or disadvantage to the LBR? Why not allow a runner to stand in foul territory off 3B for safety reasons as long as they are not closer to the plate? After all, there is no advantage, is there?
For that matter, what advantage does a runner gain by stepping over 1B instead of touching it? Yet, on appeal, we will rule that runner out.

There are instances in the ASA (and other) rules which acknowledge advantage/disadvantage as in stopping a ball with detached equipment, umpire inteference with a catcher, etc. along with the common sense of not calling a player out for removing a helmet if there is no ball in the area or a catcher hitting the bat when throwing the ball back to the pitcher.

And yes, there are things like IPs at the 10U or JV level, but does the umpire not make them aware of the issue and then call it if not corrected? To me, that type of judicious action is more along the lines of survival than TOAD.

There are hundreds of different issues that could be addressed under this heading, but there would be no resolution. Like I said, where do you draw that line?

I am not advocating ignoring common sense, but you need to remember there are two teams on the field and they deserve equal attention. For example, in the given play, what do you do when that catcher you blew off steps in the middle of the plate and fouls one off? Do you "make up" for the previous call even though the world just saw what happened?

BTW, I really don't care about "handling" the OC and I don't need to "make excuses" to sell my call. You reiterate the call, what occurred that drew the call and the results. Let him have his say, calmly answer any reasonable questions "once" and move on. If the coach gets too animated or gives cause that s/he needs to go, send'em.

I guess Fred and I will just have to disagree. Then again, I also disagree with the clinician who told the group that if a BR interferes with the defenses ability to catch a pop-up over fair territory that comes down and rolls foul as a "foul ball" because that is easier to sell. And s/he is a member of the softball officiating hierarchy