View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
However, your AUIC probably is forgetting that sometimes you have to throw out that advantage/disadvantage thing when there's been a clear violation that cannot be ignored. An example would be the batter stepping out of the box so obviously the catcher saw it. If the catcher sees it, we really can't avoid calling it because then the defensive coach will be all over our case on it.
And that's why I felt that I wasn't doing the conversation justice. The dead-a$$ obvious calls SHOULD be called, or you'll end up looking more incompetent than they already think we are. Fred was advocating that if the batter's foot was smack-dab in the middle of the plate when contact was made, well, you've gotta call it. There are some rules that we just can not ignore.

But those calls where the batter steps across the plate and nearly into the other box? Call those, too! Why? Because again, the batter gained an advantage by stepping out of the box to hit an otherwise unhittable ball.

Otherwise, if his foot is an inch out of the box, no advantage is gained, and the catcher asks you about his foot, your answer is simple. "Catch, I'm concentrating on seeing if I can call a strike for your pitcher. Sorry, but I didn't see it."

That last section, for the record, was NOT something Fred said. That's me talking.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.