View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Two fouls close together

Two recent situations both involving two fouls very close together.

First situation: As lead, I called a holding foul on B1 who was tying up A1 from behind. It was a common foul no bonus. As the two players break, B1 gives a little shove to A1--sort of a "get away from me" shove. It was something that I ordinarily would have handled by a forceful "knock it off." The trail official comes flying in with his arms crossed and says "call it intentional." I'm thinking that maybe he saw the hold as an intentional and I report it that way to the table. Later during half time, the official says he made the intentional call because of the shove on the break. It seems to me that, if anything, it would be a common foul and either ignore the after contact or call a technical if the contact required it. The other offical just sort of wrapped it all up into one act.

Second situation: A1 drives the lane and is airborne for a shot. B1 tries to swat the ball from behind and instead hits the arm and the body of A1--a clear foul. A1 then charges into B2 who is stationary in the lane in legal guarding position. So you have a defensive foul on team B on an airborne shooter followed immediately by a charge by that airborne shooter. Are these simultaneous fouls? or a false double foul? and what penalties?