View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

I also came to basketball after starting with softball and baseball. The learning curve, for me, was pretty steep. I think the whole job is way more demanding than even the plate umpire. In baseball (iirc, it's been a long time) it's all about angle, distance, and getting set to see the play. It's quite predictable, there's rarely more than one "play" going on at any time, and you have very few "bangers" in any given game. Most of the game calls itself.

Basketball is way more physical. You're required to make a lot more decisions per game, often while on the move. There is often a lot going on all at the same time. And it requires a much greater level of fitness because as you tire your judgment and how quickly you think can begin to suffer, not to mention you can lose a step and that can cost you an open look.

OTOH, "officiating" skills translate pretty readily. The ability to manage a game, deal with players and coaches, be calm under pressure, present a confident demeanor, process plays and make quick correct decisions, rules study habits, etc. are all required and you'll have a big leg up if you've already got those tools in your bag.

Welcome to what IMHO is by far the funnest and most challenging sport to officiate. Once I really got into basketball, I never looked back.