View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 27, 2009, 09:47pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
I start to watch some tapes from last spring and this summer's camps to set goals for myself. Of course, brushing up on the rules is in there as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I work out all year long, 5-6 days a week. I will cut back once scrimmages start. And no pick-up basketball once the season starts.
Great stuff guys! In addition to those gems, I make it a point to start using HS mechanics/signals right about Oct. no matter what level I'm working.
I go year round so after March I'm tossing the ol' stop the clock & point on OOB calls. Why can't we just point
Gotta get rid of the hit to the head, the forearm chuck, loose ball & all of those great signals as well.

It must be a challenge to go back & forth on a nightly basis for you NCAA officials... as far as coverages, floor mechanics & signals go. Thoughts are highly encouraged.

And I definitely cut back! I just successfully completed 8 games today (mix of varsity - 8th b&g) & 4 youth fball games yesterday. I say successfully because it seems as though every year I get less & less pushback when I do the off-season ball, particularly youth. A few years ago there was no way I'm doing 8 bball games in a day without being approached by a fanatic AFTER the game that poor Johnny lost by 57 &/or having to sit multiple coaches down for the day. 1 T on a player today & it called itself...
I don't know if it's their familiarity with me or my court presence (due to camps & opportunities to work a higher level of ball in the summer) but I LIKE IT! I used to judge my improvement soley upon me getting picked up or not, but by stepping down in skill level, I can honestly see a change in my game... well at least the GM part of the game. Had a pretty decent & experienced partner, you've met him, mostly wreck/youth stuff, no varsity, no camps, no desire to excel or advance, just a check collector, but I just focused on consistently being strong & vocal on my stuff and having the attitude of what I do speaks so loud that I cannot hear YOU. Not a bad weekend

Note: YOU meaning fans, coaches, parent/table assitants NOT my partner.

Last edited by Ch1town; Sun Sep 27, 2009 at 09:55pm.