View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 27, 2009, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Some rec slow pitch leagues have rules . . .

You can plug in all sorts of stuff there! We could hold a contest for "most outrageous local SP rule."

For some reason, many lower-level SP players think that a retired runner has a responsibility to disappear into thin air. Certainly in CecilOne's situation, though, it's INT.

Somewhere I have a clip of Dizzy Dean running straight up into a shortstop right at the bag, thus preventing a double play. As was the custom in the 1930s, however, that was a no call. I don't know what you had to do in the "old days" to get called for INT. Guys used to crash shortstops ten feet wide of the bag and get away with it.

So McCarver said the batter should be called for OBS? Not surprised. Tommy Lasorda claimed that Reggie Jackson should have been called for OBS for sticking his hip into that throw in the World Series.

I think that some people use the word obstruction simply because they think it sounds more official and technical and thus gives them credibility. Sort of like the people who consistently insert "whom" where "who" belongs, thinking they will sound educated.