Thread: Starting Back
View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Yesterday I called around to about 10 pharmacies and none of the pharmacists had ever heard of it. I finally found one in Lakeside that had one 2 oz. bottle of it in stock. I had her hold it for me and I picked it up today. I don't think anyone at this pharmacy had ever heard of it either, they just happened to have a bottle in stock.

People also used to drink "ammonia cokes" made with Coca-Cola and 3 or 4 drops of spirits of ammonia. They used to make them regularly in drug store soda fountains back in the "good old days." Mothers would make them for their small children's upset tummies, and many people drank them for migraine headaches and also to help with bursitis.

People actually still make this concoction, even though the label says not to ingest the stuff. I guess a few drops didn't hurt anyone.
If you're just making enough for yourself, you can get three or four batches out of that one little bottle.

A half ounce of spirits; a quart of water; a dozen cubes, and some towels in a little igloo cooler or jug. You'll be a happy umpire.

Where we are for our Sunday twin-bill, it'll be 99 degrees at 1:00. The crew will be learning about the wonders of ammonia towels.