View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 18, 2009, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
So, if A88 scores, the DPI yardage can be enforced on the try or on the kickoff... BUT, if A88 was tackled at the 5 yard line instead of scoring, A has to decline the penalty in order to have the play stand?

That feels rather inconsistent to me.
True, and that inconsistency or inequity was introduced recently. Before that, the penalty would've had to be declined for the TD to count too.

But that inequity would disappear in the other direction if they went to spot-of-foul enforcement for the DPI with no exception for fouls in the end zone. I'm trying to remember when NCAA first adopted previous spot enforcement for DPI; they re-adopted it in the 1980s following Fed's influence, but I think Fed inherited NCAA's previous previous spot enforcement rule, so I'm guessing it goes back to the 1930s. This is one of the rules (enforcement spot for DPI) that tends to go back & forth over generations in NCAA, but Fed has stuck with one. The NFL I believe inherited their DPI enforcement spot from NCAA just before NCAA made the change, and then they stuck with it too. The WFL had it as a previous spot enforcement unless it was ruled a deliberate foul.

However, NCAA's & NFL's exception to spot-of-foul for DPI in the end zone went back a long way too. When Fed first deliberated formulating their own rules, consideration was given to awarding a TD for DPI in the end zone, regardless of whether it was an intentional foul.

Robert