View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
I will always believe the umpire before the player. If there would be one player that I would believe, it would be Jeter. Everything said about his character and demeanor is true. He is as nice a guy as they come.
I am also uncomfortable with the calling of Jeter a rat. I love this game and respect it to almost no end. Jeter and his play and his achievements are a credit to the game. He's a first-ballot, no-brainer Hall of Famer and a champion. Of the 750 players, there are some true rats---there always are. But to brand one and all is preposterous.

Perfect example: Eddie Murray. People everywhere talk down about him, and some can't even stand him. His detractors all have one thing in common: They don't know two things about the guy. He's as classy and decent a guy as there ever was in this game, and I have heard several noted veterans--Winfield, Scioscia, Hershiser, Ripken, Dempsey, Griffin and others--say that Murray's the finest teammate they ever had. But by prejudging him, he's a rat, too. Well, not the way some of us see things.