View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 15, 2009, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland View Post
Al, give me all the complex words you can conjure but you illustrate all the understanding of someone whose complete empirical knowledge comes from Madden Football.

The reason experienced Rs do not rely absolutely on the captain for penalty decisions is because football is complex and some penalty decisions depend upon the complete knowledge of a team's ability and strategy somethng that may not be known by a captain. The coaching staff may make a penalty decision based upon the ability of the players or it could be the coaching staff has a strategy beyond the simple penalty decision. Remember a good team is a team and a captain knows his role and relies upon his coach for guidance even at the pro level, or, more so at the pro level.
Ed, for someone with so much "empirical knowledge" about a team's, "ability and strategy somethng that may not be known by a captain", you have a glaring lack of reading comprehension.

Nothing I suggested has the slightest thing to do with excluding a coach from participating in the overall decision process regarding the choice following a penalty. It's about giving a captain the respect he has earned, without your input or knowledge.

There's little difference, in the actual results of showing appropriate deference to the standard protocol, in securing a "team" conclusion on penalty choices, and blowing off a team captain and going over his head because YOU'RE too important to waste time talking to (or through) a lowly captain, except that one way acknowledges earned respect and your way trashes it.

If you can't figure out an effortless way to satisfy both ends of that string by yourself, my giving you the words likely isn't really going to help.