View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 15, 2009, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf5 View Post
Ok, so let's look at 8-2-2, 8-2-3 and 8-2-4.

8-2-2 talks about fouls by the opponent of the scoring team so it doesn't apply since the debate is over the scoring team's USC.

8-2-3 talks about fouls by the opponent of the scoring team and a change of possession so it doesn't apply (A's USC, right?)

8-2-4...If after a touchdown-scoring play and prior to the initial ready-forplay signal for the try, either team commits any foul for which the basic spot is the succeeding spot, the offended team may have the penalty enforced from the succeeding spot or may choose to have the penalty enforced on the subsequent kickoff.

8-2-4 gives a time frame for when the foul is committed. The foul must be committed AFTER a TD-scoring play and PRIOR to the initial RFP. A's USC foul was committed BEFORE the TD so 8-2-4 doesn't apply. The only rule that tells us when to apply A's USC is 10-4-5a which is the succeeding spot, which is on the try.
I get what you're saying, I truly do.

But the fundamental here gives a very clear impression that the NFHS intends for this foul to be enforced by giving the option to B to enforce on the kickoff. The fundamental contradicts the rule. The rulebook, therefore, contradicts itself.

With the evidence of the fundamental, the Reddings Guide, and the Bin Book... I think it's clear the NFHS wants the option to be given to provide for a kickoff enforcement. I think to deny that is to refuse common sense for the purpose of being too literal.