View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 15, 2009, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthGARef View Post
Not to bring up a dead horse, but the President of my association made an observation that I think settles the score.

Pg 80, Fundamental "X", #4:

"Penalty enforcement for any dead ball, nonplayer or unsportsmanlike foul is from the succeeding spot unless the foul occurs on a scoring play and the team chooses enforcement on the kickoff per 8-2-2, 8-2-3 or 8-2-4."

I think this settles it and allows for the live ball non-player or USC fouls on team A to be enforced on the subsequent kickoff.
Ok, so let's look at 8-2-2, 8-2-3 and 8-2-4.

8-2-2 talks about fouls by the opponent of the scoring team so it doesn't apply since the debate is over the scoring team's USC.

8-2-3 talks about fouls by the opponent of the scoring team and a change of possession so it doesn't apply (A's USC, right?)

8-2-4...If after a touchdown-scoring play and prior to the initial ready-forplay signal for the try, either team commits any foul for which the basic spot is the succeeding spot, the offended team may have the penalty enforced from the succeeding spot or may choose to have the penalty enforced on the subsequent kickoff.

8-2-4 gives a time frame for when the foul is committed. The foul must be committed AFTER a TD-scoring play and PRIOR to the initial RFP. A's USC foul was committed BEFORE the TD so 8-2-4 doesn't apply. The only rule that tells us when to apply A's USC is 10-4-5a which is the succeeding spot, which is on the try.