View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 13, 2009, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
The wing officials should directly advise their respective Head Coaches (whether they appreciate the information, or not) at the end of EVERY TO, for either team, how many TOs BOTH teams have remaining.
An excellent mechanic that I will work on adopting. I've always done pretty well as giving coaches the number of timeouts they have left, but that's not always enough. I had a middle school game two weeks ago where Home was driving late in the 2nd quarter, and called their final timeout with about 16 seconds left. The Visitor sideline, my sideline, was going nuts about that being their fourth timeout. I checked with each of the other officials. We all had Home with three timeouts taken. Had I been giving regular updates, maybe that "controversy" wouldn't have happened.

Amusingly, after Home took their 2nd timeout in the second half, I heard a Visitor coach say, "That's their last timeout right?" Another responded, "Yeah, they're out. They've used all seven." I probably should have corrected them at that point, but didn't since I was moving away from them and they weren't asking me. I just thought to myself, "Yep, and they're getting ready to call '#8'."

I've always been good about writing down quarter and times in middle school games, and even varsity games in which I am simply there to observe. I need to remember to do it during youth games, too. Yesterday, I had a youth game where I reported to the coaches that they had used both of their timeouts late in the 4th. One asked, "When did we use our first?" I couldn't answer, since I hadn't written down the time. I had just put a check mark to indicate it had been taken. I just said, "It was in the 3rd quarter," because that was as accurate as I could get. Fortunately, they said, "Oh yeah, that's right."

Quote:
If you should have a brain fart, and instintively react to a requested TO by stopping the clock, the instant you realize it, you simply restart the clock as emphatically as necessary. Incorrectly stopping the clock is YOUR mistake, not the team's even though they asked you to stop the clock, so there is NO penalty, other than you buying the first round after the game.
Agreed. This ain't basketball. We don't do technical fouls for extra timeouts. No timeout. No penalty. Keep the clock running and keep going.