View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 12, 2009, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
And, that used to be the ASA standard as taught by the old NUS. But the new ASA NUS had a different direction.

More recently, that has been revised, and was the subject of an approved, restated, and required mechanic; I believe in 2006 (?). We were directed that a) that prior standard was never put in writing, and therefore was not a standard, and that b) the manual direction to "give the count" meant to give the full count in all cases. Since we verbalize one ball, two balls, three balls, no strikes, one strike, and two strikes, in any and all combinations, we were directed to also verbalize no balls; without regard to the possibility that it was the set up line for any number of jokes or issues.
Surprisingly, despite having gone to 3 local clinics, one state clinic and the NUS just this year alone (and having done similar in the previous years), this was never discussed. However, I have seen a number of umpires who have risen up the ranks who, when giving the count, will state "no balls, two strikes."

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Since then, and to minimize issues, I say "Our count is no balls, two strikes", and that has effectively eliminated any discussion that I either insulted the batter, or set myself up for "Did you say you have no balls??", et al.
Well, fortunately for me, I only do SP, so we have a 1-1 count that negates any of this. However, if I do senior or masters games, I do say, "the count is no balls, two strikes," or I will just hold up my left hand in a fist, then hold up my right with two fingers and say, "two strikes." I'm a bit surprised that neither of the NUS I went to in the past two years ever addressed this, despite the fact that this was part of our drills.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.