Thread: NCAAW -- Timer
View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 10, 2009, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

I played, and have not officiated soccer, so maybe someone will come on and correct any errors.

Going off of memory:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I have been asked to time for NCAAW soccer games this fall (having previously done Football, Volleyball, Basketball, etc).

Three specific questions, and a general one:

1) When are subs allowed (and am I supposed to sound a horn)? The coach told me one thing before the last game, but what he told me and what the refs allowed weren't the same thing.

On their own throwin, own corner kick, any goal kick, following a goal, halftime and intermissions before overtimes. A stoppage for an injured player can result in a substitution. A cautioned player may be substituted following the caution. Any time only one team is allowed to "initiate" a substitute, the opposing team may also substitute up to an equal number of players.
These may only be NCCAM, but: Additionally, a player who comes off in the first half may not participate until the second half. A player who comes off in the second half may come back on, but may not participate after coming off a second time.
I haven't heard a horn in my games, but, in general, I'd listen to the referee.
Someone will have to give any restrictions following a team having a player sent off.

2) Am I supposed to verbally count the last ten seconds over the speakers?

I believe so, although it isn't always followed, or necessary, imo.

3) I was told that the visiting team can choose whether half-time is 10 or 15 minutes. What's the default if I'm not told which it is?

My advice: ask the referee (or 10 so you can go home sooner).

4) What else do I need to know?

Substitutions in the final five minutes of the second half by the team leading result in a stoppage.
Good luck.