Thread: overtime rules
View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 09, 2009, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Certainly relevant and a much better question. According to a site, from 2000-07, 30% of the games were decided with one team not touching the ball in OT.
Both teams "touch" the ball! It sounds crazy but if I only had a 30% chance of winning by kicking off, and forced to do so, if my on-side kick percentage were good, I might be tempted to sneak one in there.

I'm not a big fan of the NFL overtime at all. I am a big fan of the NCAA overtime, however if NFL doesn't want to use it, fine.

The problem with the college system, it could go on forever, the problem with the current NFL system one team may win via coin toss, or you might still have to kiss your sister. A few years ago my college buddies and I came up with the most creative ways to break a tie in a football game. Here is a little of our list...
1. FG kickoff (aka soccer penatly kicks) 5 shots (20, 25, 30, 35, 40) Still tied, + 2 yards and keep going.
2. 1st down at A's 20, 4 downs to advance as far as possible, then let B have a go, team that advances farther wins. Score a touchdown, count it as 100 yards and go back to the 20 if you have any downs left.
3. 1st down at A's 20, 5:00 on the clock to score as many points as possible. switch.
4. Goal line standoff (similar to the penalty kicks) 1 play from the 1,2,3,4 & 5. Still tied back it up one more yard and keep going.
5. Team sprint - line up 11 players of each team on 1 goal line. First team to have all 11 players across the opposite goal line wins. For added excitement, no holds barred.