View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 05, 2009, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Officials Evaluator

First off, let me just say I think that is a great thing to see someone evaluating other officials. Since this is your first time, I am taking from reading past post, I think you will do fine. From the experience that I've had from being evaluated and working as an evaluator a piece of advice I might to you is that no matter what the situation is that you will be learning just like the other officials. I find it easier not knowing if there is an evaluator at the game because like someone posted earlier that can make some people nervous. One thing that I found from evaluating is that I would tuck myself into a corner but don't sit alone becasue if you are recognized by other officials and they see that you have stuff your writting down it can be nerve racking. Best thing to do is bring along another officials especially your first game it will actually calm your nerves down as well. The final piece of advice I will give is know the backgrounds of the officials. Is it Joe Smith's 1st year or his 8th year. That helps when trying to evaluate them and if you are giving them a post game conference on what things to help with. Also, try positive constructive criticism, I've tried and it has worked for me. It works some but not all. That is the advice I can give from being an evaluator for a couple of years now and also being evaluated.

JB