View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 05, 2009, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiicream View Post
I'm getting my feet wet this year as an evaluator. Going from the court to the stands. Thanks, in advance, for any help in making the evaluation process a positive one.

Would you, as an official, prefer to know if there is an evaluator in the stands?

Would you want to meet with him/her before, during half-time, or after the game?

Would you like verbal critiques or a hard copy of the evaluation or both?
Good luck! We need good evaluators to help us get better.

My recommendations on your questions:

1. DO NOT let the crew know there is an evaluator in the crowd. Some people try to turn it on or off when an evaluator or assigner is in attendance. This is crap and unprofessional. Once you get around to some games, the officials will know when you are in the stands anyway.

2. Address the crew after the game. A crew needs to spend their full concentration before the game conducting a solid pregame conference. At halftime, the crew needs to be talking about plays and potential adjustments for the second half. Most officials will kindly listen to an evaluator's thoughts at any time, but the best thing for the sake of the game is to wait until after the game.

3. I think a written critique is a valuable tool for an official to keep. Sometimes, you need to get out of the heat of the moment to really think about something critically. I still enjoy reading evaluations from year's past and monitoring my improvement.