View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Discussion point for upcoming meeting

One of our local crew chiefs says he is going to call the following a shift. We're going to discuss at a future meeting and would like some of your feelings/thoughts about it.

Quarterback A1 is in a shotgun formation. He is standing straight up. Right before the snap, he bends over at the waste so that he now in a crouching position rather than standing straight up. If the ball is snapped less than one second later, it is an illegal shift.

I don't see this as a shift or motion. In your comments, please provide any rule references or casebook situation you feel may add to the discussion.

And just a lighter note - had a freshman game yesterday between two mismatched teams. Had the following call that I decided to take a pass on.

The better team punts (ahead about 30-0). R3 blocks K1 below the waste about six times during the return. I saw every one. R gained no advantage by the blocks. Important point - R3 (the blocker) is about 4'6" tall. K1 is about 6'2" tall. When standing upright, R3's helmet comes to just above K1's waste. All blocks happened as both were standing upright.