View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Having experienced the evaluation process the last 2 years as a cadet, I have been operating under the standard that I am being evaluated in one way or another in every game I officiate.

As for the formal evaluation process, I don't mind if somebody "sneaks" in to observe or evaluate. We were told that our evaluators may or may not speak to us beforehand (one did and one did not) and we will probably not know which games we would be evaluated (I did not).

I don't and do not mind discussing what's happening at halftime with other officials or evaluators. In fact, if there's something somebody sees that needs discussion, I would hope that it doesn't wait until post game.

If it's a formal evaluation, a halftime chat is welcome to tell us you are here and what you saw. Give us one or two things to work on in the second half and see how we adjust individually and as a team. If you see that somebody (or everybody) is obviously struggling or overly nervous, a brief, quick compliment on anything helps a lot. We know if we are struggling and a halftime dressing-down will most probably send the game down the crapper. (this is obviously dependent on whom you evaluate-newer officials vs. varsity officials)

I appreciate any feedback I can get. I want a written evaluation for my records so I can look back on it, and also so I can remember who suggested what, and so my notes later don't miss something the observer thought was important. This summer I have lugged my video camera and tripod with me all over the place, and it has been great to sit and evaluate myself. Of course, it has also made me cringe as well as confirm some close calls.

Good luck!