View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 02:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach41 View Post
Snagwells,

It was primarily girls teams that couldn't field enough players over here as well. It's really odd because my high school is among the smallest schools in the league (600+ students) yet they managed to get 8 to 10 girls a year for both JV and Varsity.

Other schools who are around the same size (or slightly) bigger have had trouble forming teams though. I can't imagine the sole problem is lack of interest. It could be some schools haven't established a good program and has difficulty attracting students to play. It's unfortunate, but the weaker teams in the league tend to get blasted by the top teams and that's not a good way to encourage players to come back to play.
When I was in Des Moines, I noticed this with the large schools, too. The schools with well established success had no trouble fielding the full contingent of teams and then some. Schools with a history of mediocrity or worse were lucky to have a full freshman squad. This was strictly a girls phenomenon.

You're right about the top schools completely dominating the lower tier of schools, and the same schools were almost always at the top of the leagues. The turn over at the bottom was even more rare.