View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 30, 2009, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I am not a believer in the "make the captain live with the stupid decision" camp. It will not endear you to anyone and, frankly, I find it bad for the game. That starts, with me, at the coin toss. I would never, never, NEVER allow someone to choose "kick" and saddle that team going on defense to start both halves unless after I explain it to them that's exactly what they wanted.

The latest NFHS version of the Bin Book talks about this and even suggests that in certain situations that the WH or wing should just get a decision from the coach. I completely agree with that. Last night we had 2 TDs with carryover penalties and since I was near the bench when reporting them, I just got the head coach's attention and verified he wanted the yardage on the kickoff.

We pulled them off with 6 minutes left and never finished. Regardless of whether it's a conference game, the rules clearly say that this decision is in the hands of the coaches and with their mutual decision we can end the game early. I don't care if there is a conference rule against that -- that's between the schools and the conference -- there's no NFHS (or state in my state) rule against it.
Rich, sounds like you've done some games up in my neck of the woods (West Bend, Kewaskum, Campbellsport)...2 times in the last couple years I've had to break the coin toss huddle to get the coaches attention because their captains insisted on "kicking the ball" to start the game after winning the toss so they could have the ball starting off the 2nd half....rather than deferring.