View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 30, 2009, 10:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

Yup. I'm in camp 2.

Matter of fact, my captain's meetings at halftime are probably the least wordy. I know who has the option and I usually point at the captain and ask "Receive?" When he nods, I'll point at the other captain and say "Which goal will you defend?"

When one captain defers at the toss, I'll point at the other captain and say "Receive?"

When the choice is obvious, I don't even bother with the captain. I worked a wing in a youth game last night and watched a painful 90 second conversation regarding OPI. I wanted to scream, "Of COURSE they want it! It carries a LOD along with the 15 yards!" I would've had the ball in play and we would've run a play or 2 during that whole scene.

I ask the coaches at the pregame meeting if the captains know what he wants. Most times, then, the coach will tell me they want to receive/defer and I note that in case the kid is confused at the toss.

I'm not out there to be a harda$$ or play gotcha games with the captains and coaches. I'm there to facilitate. If I give incomplete information and the captain chooses poorly I will allow the captain or coach to change his mind. When the other coach complains, I will take the blame for it and remind him that I'd do the same for his captain. And off we go.

Many times I am the most experienced person out there (including the coaches). Everyone has a lot on their minds. It's my job to make things run smoothly.