Thread: Kick play
View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 29, 2009, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

To treat this as "previous spot enforcement" is to use first touching to offset the hold. There is absolutely no provision in the rules to offset first touching. It is inadvisable to make up rules.

I was not making up rules, in fact I am enforcing a rule you are choosing to ignore.

ART. 5 . . . When any K player touches a scrimmage kick beyond the expanded
neutral zone to R’s goal line before it is touched beyond the neutral zone by R
and before the ball has come to rest, it is referred to as “first touching of the kick”
and the place is the “spot of first touching.” Such touching is ignored if it is
caused by R pushing or blocking K into contact with the ball.

If any K player touches a scrimmage kick in this manner, R may take the ball at the spot of first touching, or any spot if there is more than one spot of first
touching, or they may choose to have the ball put in play as determined by the
action which follows first touching. The right of R to take the ball at spot of first
touching by K is canceled if R touches the kick and thereafter during the down
commits a foul or if the penalty is accepted for any foul committed during the down.

Be that as it may you missed my point entirely. I will not change your mind and you are not going to change mine. If we get this submitted to NFHS and they issue a ruling, all of the debate will be ended. The federation will tell us how they want this called, it will be our job to enforce this with their directive in mind.