View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 27, 2009, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Things Change - Lead Follow or Get out of the way

I read the article and believe in some of what he says and I guess I understand where he is coming from. Todays younger parents may not relate to this and his ideals. I had to learn the hard way that as much as I did not want to change some things, for the sake of tradition, I had to change in some ways so as to not sacrifice my values morals and standards, and still be effective in my relationships. There are many items he lists that can be challenged in this day and age because they are just not effective anymore. We must find ways to be effective and can not go back as the way it was back then. The target for me is the parents/coaches. The wanna be parents/coaches that push their kids for what reasons I do not know nor understand. We see them all the time, in the bleachers on the sidelines and what comes out of their mouths is hard to fathom. I get embarrassed for their kids. Some of today college athletes are just spoiled. A current college coach, when I asked him what is it like to coach kids at this level today, is it the same as when we were there 30 years ago? First he laughed then said no way. Most of these kids dont want to work they just want to show up on game day and play. At times they are worse than HS kids. The parents still call him and ask why isn't my son playing or starting. I could not believe that the parents were still involved. This is where the kids can not fight for themselves. He has to be creative in many ways to motivate these kids to play. One is the threat of removing their scholarship and at times that doesnt work cause their parents have enought money to pay for it. Want vs Need. Times are changing and have changed and we just have to get over it and integrate into it without sacrificing your values. Other wise....

Last edited by JPaco54; Fri Aug 28, 2009 at 09:01am.