View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 07, 2002, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Blum
I also have another situation that I ran into last year with a kid playing for his high school team that was deaf. Hear in Missouri there is the Missouri school for the Deaf that participates regualarly in MSHSAA competion and there is no problem because the coaches can comunicate with them in sign language. The situation I had was not with them but with a class 5 High school with only the one kid. The coach never mentioned this to us prior to the game so it was sort of surprising when there was a 2nd person(coach) standing in the coaches box. Actually, there was also another person running the other side of the floor to comunicate with the kid as well. Once we figured out the reasoning for this we allowed it to continue and just ask them to stay as far back as far as they could and on the bench side stay seated as much as possible.( I didn't want to tell them they couldn't stand or translate for the kid so that he wouldn't be able to play).

Just sort of wondering what everyone would have done in that situation.

THank.

There was a girl here at Oregon City who was deaf that played varsity for two years. She had a translator who worked during the huddle, and if a coach was specifically talking to her. But on the floor, all the players, the bench personnel and even some of the fans and parents had this elaborate set of hand signals that they would all use to let her know what was happening. Anywhere she looked, she could know what to do next, just as the other players could hear from every direction. the signals came from the translator, who had taught them to everyone. The coach would yell something, and the translator would do a big signal, and then everyone else instantly picked it up. It was kind of touching to see all these "accommodations" for her, and it was worth the work -- she was really, really good.

During the state tournaments, there was even a pair of guys (parents? or assistant coaches?) who would stand at strategic locations to block the TV cameras and fans from seeing the signing, so the opponent couldn't find out what was happening.