View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 25, 2009, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

I was taught that you use the terminology of "No catch" and "That's a catch" with the appropriate signals. I am not concerned about whether or not a runner misunderstands me, not my problem.

Here are some examples of the proper use of "that's nothing."

1) R1, R2. Ground ball to SS. R2 runs in front of SS briefly blocking view of SS on his way to 3rd. SS bobbles ball. Or the ball takes an irregular hop while bounding close to an advancing runner. Mechanic: Safe sign, "That's nothing"

2) Batter bunts ball in front of the plate. BR and F2 crash into each other while doing their jobs. PU judges no interference or obstruction. Mechanic: Safe sign, "That's nothing."

3) Batter swings at a outside pitch and leans part way over the plate. F2 catches pitch and tries to retire R1 stealing. PU judges no interfernce but it may look, from the dugouts, that interference occured. Mechanic: Safe sign, "That's nothing."

There are others, but you may get the idea. Giving these mechanics will not stop a coach from coming out, but you are telling everyone that you saw the play and have nothing.