View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 24, 2009, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

I think we have had this discussion in one form or another several times. As an experienced umpire, I find the NCAA mechanics to be better overall. I have also talked to Emily about this subject. As most of you know, she was the primary contributor and author of the CCA Softball Umpires Manual.

NCAA mechanics have been developed for the experienced umpire and are for the "thinking" umpire. To a point, they are more of a guideline to get the umpire in a reasonable position to work a game that is generally faster and played by better athletes overall. It is expected that the umpire be able to adjust to the play at hand and be in postion to see and call that play effectively.

ASA mechanics are written as a standard for all levels of umpires, from the raw rookie to the 20+ year vet. They are solid mechanics that will work for a large percentage of games across all age and talent levels. Due to the large number of ASA umpires across the country, I can see why ASA wants to have one standard set of mechanics. In theory, any ASA umpire should be able to step onto the field with any other ASA umpire and effectively work the game using the same set of mechanics.

Do I believe that ASA should have some flexibility and allow some of the NCAA mechanics to be taught to and used by more experienced umpires that understand the purpose? Yes. However, I can also understand why they (ASA) have chosen not to do that at this time.