Thread: Protection
View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarilli View Post
The point of the car example was less one comparability with a shot to one's gonads and more one of illustration about risk-reward trade offs; after all life is full of trade offs we all make every day.

Anyway, while maybe not more painful, a line drive to one's carotid artery could have more dire consequences, ie death. I choose not to wear a mask and a throat guard while I work the bases for lots of reasons you may or may not find humorous, but I risk death. (A man was killed recently at Lynchburg College in Virginia, when a batted ball struck him in the neck.) I find this trade off acceptable, however. I'm guessing, as do you. So, as humorous as you may find this example, it again makes the point that everyday choice often times requires trades of risk vs. reward.
Sorry to ride you, Tony.

I realize that there are other shots that could kill you or knock you cold, but they are all less painful than a split jewel.

Anyway, I cruise the L.A. freeways at between 75 and 80 m.p.h. every single day. I have taken street bikes up to 125 m.p.h. on the coast highway or the canyons and have woven through cars at 90 m.p.h. on freeways. And I have done performance driving in commercials. I absolutely love racing and driving the hell out of a good car. It's a riskier thing than going the limit, but I weigh it and do it.

I would still never go onto a baseball field to perform any function whatsoever without a cup. There is no measurable reward.