Thread: Protection
View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Of course it makes sense ... to you.

There is virtually nothing that can happen to us on a baseball field that is more painful than a jewel shot. A dull thud to the chest and the resultant soreness to the general chest area due to an inadequate soft shell is not even in the same area code as a jewel shot.
The point of the car example was less one comparability with a shot to one's gonads and more one of illustration about risk-reward trade offs; after all life is full of trade offs we all make every day.

Anyway, while maybe not more painful, a line drive to one's carotid artery could have more dire consequences, ie death. I choose not to wear a mask and a throat guard while I work the bases for lots of reasons you may or may not find humorous, but I risk death. (A man was killed recently at Lynchburg College in Virginia, when a batted ball struck him in the neck.) I find this trade off acceptable, however. I'm guessing, as do you. So, as humorous as you may find this example, it again makes the point that everyday choice often times requires trades of risk vs. reward.