View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 21, 2009, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref1986 View Post
Ok, so how exactly does the visiting coach get the photographer for the home team's local newspaper off his sideline? By force? Can you say lawsuit?
This is how a discussion can digress to being extreme. I suspect, and would certainly hope, everyone is going to try and work with coaches regarding this rule revision to make it work. I don't think there is any need to alter the current sequence of gentle reminder, followed by a series of sterner reminders until there is reasonable compliance. The new rule might just make the overall interval somewhat shorter

I would expect a visitng coach to notice a photographer in the restriced area, before we might, and would want him out of that area. He might even look for assistance from a wing official if there was a problem. Obviously this would be a game management issue, but if we could be of assistance inconspicuously, we should help.

Charm is likely our best option, but if that fails I've found offering the annoying visitor a choice usually works. He can choose standing where I ask him to stand, or he can stand on the other side of whatever barrier separates the playing field from the spectators. If he's a real jerk, I'll simply stop the game until he removes himself, or game management has him removed. None of that is anything new.

The area more likely to present a photographer in the way problem is in the area of the goal line extended and around the EZ. Most will respond to a gentle reminder, but all MUST respond eventually.