View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 19, 2009, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Huh?

In WI, if a player is horse collared and the tackle occurs after a TD, it's penalized as a dead ball foul. This was described at the rule interp meeting. Am I reading this situation wrong?
That's what I was told last night in WI (Men. Falls HS meeting), as well. Dead ball personal foul.

I would call it a dead ball personal foul and leave it at that. I suppose adding the HC signal after the dead ball and PF signals wouldn't be a very big deal because it is (the HC) a personal foul and it would be pretty obvious the player was HC'd at the tail end of the play...or technically after it. You'd be more correct, IMO, to just carry out the DBPF and move on.

Illegal use of hands if it was just to slow him down, but bringing him down would have to be UR, wouldn't it?
Not in any way if he's a ball carrier....

They (WIAA spokesman) went even further with a transparency showing the defender holding onto the ball carrier without the ball carrier going down and then being finished off by another defender and it was adamantly stated that that is in no way a horse collar...only if the "offender" pulls the ball carrier down backward or to the side while grasping the side or back of the jersey or pads.

This will be edited again next year in some fashion by NFHS, I'll bet.

Last edited by Canned Heat; Wed Aug 19, 2009 at 03:52pm.