View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 14, 2009, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
If you could explain it, rationally, I am absolutely willing to reconsider and based on the strength of the explanation might well be persuaded.
OK, I'll take a shot at a rational reason:

Let's say a loose ball hits the ground in bounds and bounces in the air over the sideline. Let's also say there's a scrum of players in the area....Presumably, you have no problem with an inbounds linebacker going airborne directly above the sideline and batting it back to a teammate, right?

What you seem to not be OK with is: the same linebacker standing 3 yards OOB, jumping back towards the field of play, and while in the air above the sideline, batting it back to a teammate.

Well maybe the rulemakers realized that the official on the sideline can't possibly keep track of every player--offense and defense--who puts a toe out of bounds during the play.

So instead, all I have to look for is one thing: is the player who's batting that loose ball touching OOB ground while doing it? If yes, dead ball OOB. If no--if he's airborne--then play on. And I don't care where he came from or which direction he's jumping.

(Granted, we do need to look for certain players going out of bounds on their own. But those times are specific situations that are easily spotted/tracked; and they prevent a team from obtaining a CLEAR unfair advantage.)

Anyway, there's my attempt at bridging the gap. Does that persuade you at all?