View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 14, 2009, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
Uggh!! I can't believe I'm being drug into this junk! I know this will be taken as offensive and I apologize for that but I can't believe what I'm reading from Alf (still don't know why people call him that!). I was told a long time ago to never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. Alf, you probably aren't an idiot but you are not grasping what people on this board have told you over and over.

Here is the rule verbatim:
Rule 2-29-1 - A player or other person is out of bounds when any part of the person is touching anything, other than another player or game official that is on or outside the sideline or end line.

That very clearly states that a player who is no longer touching the sideline is no longer out of bounds.
I really appreciate your reluctance to call me an idiot, but I believe I grasp that same thing, that people keep repeating, fairly well. I think it's the fact I don't buy what I'm told to accept, is what is having a problem being grasped. If you could explain it, rationally, I am absolutely willing to reconsider and based on the strength of the explanation might well be persuaded. Sorry, but use of the phrase "is touching" does not trump the absolute absense of common sense and ridiculous result your interpretation requires.

Forgive me but, NF: 2-29-1 DOES NOT STATE anything remotely like, "a player who is no longer touching the sideline is no longer out of bounds", that is an interpretation YOU are adding to what YOU HAVE CHOSEN to believe the rule suggests.

I'll apologize in advance and hope you won't take any offense at my suggesting that anyone who blindly agrees to enforce an interpretation that they are unable to rationally defend, explain or apply any logic or functional purpose related to the game of football to, seems somewhat ill equipped to render dependable judgments.