View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 14, 2009, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
There is a very specific comment in the case book about this as well. Not sure why your interpreter chose to vary from that by not allowing the player in a 2-point stance from executing a block that is legal.
His reasoning was that if the player was in a 2-point stance, the amount of time it would take for him to charge (whether immediately or not) would be more than the time it would take for the ball to get back to the shotgun QB. Thus, by the time the block would be initiated, the free blocking zone would have disintegrated - which would obviously make the block illegal.

I personally am happy with this interpretation because I always allowed these types of blocks (because of the case book guidance), but I never agreed with it. My reasoning is that the term 'immediate charge' leaves entirely too much gray area. Most of the time, in these shotgun situations, the tackles have a little stagger from the other linemen and as a result, the defensive lineman would then be about two yards away from the OT. The DL would then take 1-2 steps prior to the block being initiated - although acceptable (as per the case book), that block is clearly illegal. Also, I don't think it agrees with the intent of the rule.

To be perfectly honest, I think the rule should be that there will be no blocking below the waist unless the QB is in the position to receive the snap directly from the center. In my opinion, High School players are not skilled enough to properly execute these low blocks (hence the rule), so we shouldn't allow them - unless it truly is a bang-bang snap-block situation.