View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Derock1986
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland
This forum can make you think.

I am thinking about how to signal the enforcement.

1) Walk off 15 yards from the previous spot and signal pass interference and first down for automatic first down.

2) Then walk back 15 yards and signal personal foul and disqualification if the player was disqualified.

Of course, I could stand still and give all the signals if there are no half the distance enforcements.

But that might cause confusion with someone thinking the penalty for the personal foul never being enforced.

Anybody got any ideas?
Ed, the way I signal the enforcement is:

There was a double foul on the play,
lst foul was a live ball foul, pass interference on the defense--15 yard penalty (for you, my league this is a 10 yard penalty) from the previous spot and an automatic first down!
The second foul was a dead ball foul occurring after the play was over, unsportsmanlike on the offense, the player was ejected for throwing a punch--15 yard penalty from the gaining spot.
1st and 25!

I forgot the chains. Oh yeah, technically it is not a double foul since there is a live ball foul followed by a dead ball foul. They must be enforced separately. I ALWAYS do it that way, some officials don't. I like to develop habits mechanically so that when the time comes it is routine.

Here is my complete dialogue.

I tell my linesman and umpire to walk off fifteen yards, set the stakes and wait for me to signal the first foul.

I then explain the penalty, "There were multiple penalties (technically, there was not but most fans and coaches don't know the difference). They will be enforced separately. There was a live ball foul for defensive pass interference. That is a 15-yard penalty with an automatic first down. (Linesman and umpire complete walk off and set stakes)."

Then walk back to the enforcement spot which will become the succeeding spot. "Following the end of the play, there was a personal foul against the defense for striking an opponent, the player has been disqualified. Following enforcement of all penalties, it is first down and ten from this spot." Then have the linesman and umpire come to the spot.

I really cannot think of a better way to do this to let everybody know that all penalties are being enforced.