Thread: Bud Black EJ
View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Poor or incorrect angle IMO...he obviously decided no touch at the moment which he chose to not call him safe. Yeah, it's a pretty bad miss. I guess we call it the human element. Some ground balls still 5-hole a gold glove shortstop yet we don't hammer him into the ground for missing a ground ball that most little leaguers can field.

Not intending to be confrontational at all Kevin...just talking with you...but I think we've probably all missed ones that we shouldn't have missed. I will speak for myself...I have missed ones like this...not at the dish, but on the bases and I've become a better umpire because of it.

Your thoughts?
My thoughts are that I agree with you for the most part. It is good to twist and turn after a kicked call, because it makes you a better umpire. But I can honestly not remember seeing a guy wiping the entire width of the plate and not waving him safe. Blown tag plays ... yes. I have had them, and improved after each one. Blown bangers ... yes. I'm good, but not that good. Everybody misses those too. And like you said, if you're doing it right, you improve after each one, and it takes longer before another one.

But that may be as bad a display as a major leaguer can have.