View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 08, 2009, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

No advantage

I have a problem with the no advantage, if a small defender whacks a power forward going for a layup - but he is strong enough to finish, that is a foul and should be called (and is called); but was there an advantage? I say yes there is - you are giving an advantage to the defender by allowing a free swing at the ball and he may block the shot.

BillyMac - the fouls you describe on the rebound effort - are how I understand the advantage / disadvantage to be applied. Did the foul put the person fouled at a disadvantage?

I agree with snaqwells comments about a pass to a player taking a wide open lay-up, contact on the passer is ignore (generally) to allow the lay-up.

It starts getting tricky as we move away from the lay-up; a wide open pass to a jump shooter? To me, we as officials start influencing the game when we start making judgement calls as to whether a team would want us to call it or allow their 40% 3 point shooter to shoot (what if he was only 20% shooter?).

The I did not call the foul because I thought you had a better option.. to me is not good.

Sorry coach - yes I saw the foul, but the ball was on the other side of the court and the dribbler was not looking to make a pass to the cutter, so the hold really did not put your player at a disadvantage.

thanks, - enjoying the civil discussion.