View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 08, 2009, 12:57am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
Also in your list, I would like to disagree with the one that states something about a player playing through the illegal contact. If the contact is illegal it must be called a foul. If it is marginal or inconclusive then a no call can be substantiated. At the high levels there are players that are big enough to play through illegal contact but that doesn't mean I have the right to ignore it. I'm doing a disservice and penalizing that player who made a committment to hit the weight room so he could play through that contact to earn himself more and 1s. This job is truly an art and views vary but I would like to think we agree on 99.9% of plays that would be obvious.
I disagree simply because without an advantage, there's no foul. Your hypothetical player gains the advantage by getting two easy points instead of having to shoot free throws. If it doesn't affect him, there was no foul. That's the rule. When I talk about illegal contact that doesn't cause an advantage, I'm talking about contact for which the defender is responsible by rule but there is no foul because there was no advantage.

The caveat is similar to Camron's perfectly worded post; completely aside from clean-up calls.

Last edited by Adam; Sat Aug 08, 2009 at 01:03am.