View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 04, 2009, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

I agree this was a hurdle. Some may be technically correct in saying that his knee was on the ground when the runner went over the tackler but the intent of the runner was to hurdle the tackler no matter his position. We have been shown the principle of a block below the waist is illegal even if the blockee gets his hands on the blocker first because the blocker committed to going low and the actions of the blockee shouldn't make the blocker's actions legal. In this situation I believe we should use the same reasoning. If a runner was going toward the LOS and there was a pile of linemen there and he hurdled them I believe this is legal per the rule. Out in the open field the runner should not be attempting to jump over another player in this manner.

But saying that I do know of Rs in my area that have said, "I'm not going to be the first one to call that." during a game which is the same thing as "pioneer" call. That was for helping the runner but if you won't call one you might not call the other. I have seen on TV highlights a blatant hurdle right over a defender and he was only bent at the waist and nothing was called.

As for the quarterfinal game, did you actually check any cleats for length in pregame? R made a statement about defusing the situation about the cleat length with what could have turned out to be a lie. Him saying that and possibly not following through could be as bad and just wiping off a personal foul that really wasn't his to overrule.