View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 01, 2009, 06:57am
Huck Finn

1a. Understand going in that coaches don't like you (as an official which is the capacity you are in at the time), most players don't like you and many parents don't like you.
1b. Knowing the rules and the mechanics should be a given, but being able to apply the rules and doing a good job is priority #1.
2. Be professional. A professional official without 1b is just a professional who does a horrible job. From the time you drive on the school property, you must be professional.
3. Look the part. From your uniform to your fitness, look like a basketball official who is prepared to at least attempt to keep up with the action of the game. I can admit to gaining a little weight over the last couple of years although at 185 pounds I'm not plump by any means. But at camp a few weeks ago, my fitness began to impact how I did as the camp went along. My focus wasn't where it should have been. I sit here, sore, typing this having started a new workout to get me back to where I need to be. The hardest part is watching what I eat although it has improved dramatically over the last week. Fortunately, there aren't many Popeye's in Vegas.