View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

How do you guys see this play?

I'll try my best to describe this in a way to NOT make this a HTBT (even though it is) sitch so I can get wide range of opinions.
ASA Adult Coed SP (Local rec league)
No outs. No runners on base.
B1 hits a shot into the gap in right center. He's it legging into third, does not slide, and in trying to stop on the bag (just as the throw is coming into by F5...who is in a perfectly legal fielding position) overruns the bag thru the coaches box and toward the fence. The throw goes past F5 and rolls toward the fence near where BR has ended up. F5 runs to pickup ball as BR is reversing direction and running back to 3rd.

So now here's what I'm looking at (and everything happened fast):

>3rd base coach has basically not moved at all and is standing in the (unmarked) coaches box
>BR scoots around 3rd base coach's right as he heads back to 3rd
>F5 who is chasing BR bumps into 3rd base coach, but still manages to tag out BR before he gets back to the bag.
Here's the question...IF F5 had failed to get a tag on BR for the out...what would you have???
1) Interference on 3rd base coach?
2) Nothing...as coach was OK by just staying where he was.

IMHO...interference on coach as he has to recognize that we have a ball in play AND a play being made on a runner right in the area where he is standing.
Thoughts? Opinions? I'm open to being swayed as I'm not 100% convienced that I'm right in my interp.
Strange play to be sure, but hey that's rec league adult coed...expect the unexpected and the bizzare.