View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut View Post
I think the one time I said something like that when perhaps I shouldn't was very similar to the posited scenario. Some kind of lopsided foul count (I don't remember specifically) and the coach said something like that.

Coach: "Jeff, come on, we are at 7-2 now!"
Me: "Yeah coach, you really should tell your guys to stop fouling".

It actually went over pretty well, but I wish I hadn't said it. He actually laughed, but you never know with something like that. I normally would not say something like that, but it just kind of felt "right" at the particular moment.

Was I "baiting" him?
Apparently not. But, depending on the situation, you could've been. Clear enough?

That's where your people skills come in - you are finding out what works for you. What you say, how you say it, and when you say it are all important. What you said may have worked at that particular moment in that game, but in a different situation with the same coach may blow up. Also, some officials with their personalities might be able to get away with saying things that you or I cannot.

I had a short conversation with a coach once after a travel call against his team late in the first half:

Coach: "Jim, I know that was a travel, and I'm not arguing that, but did you know you've called 7 travels against us, and only 2 against them?"

Me: "?" (Then I glance up at the scoreboard)

Me: "Coach, I see the fouls are 6-0 in your favor; do you want us to even those up as well?"

Coach: "(...grumble...)No."

Not a word about counts the rest of the game. Now, this was a coach who is known to be a little excitable, so I was taking a chance. But, in this case, it worked - he was trying to get a subtle point across, and I got a subtle point back to him. I haven't used that line any other time, and I may never use it again. But it just worked at that particular moment.

(Used with permission.)