View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I can see your point, but I'm not sure it applies to the OP. I think when, where, and with whom are very important factors for this. If you're acknowledging a mistake, I don't think it's generally best to take this approach. The whole point of the conversation is to ease tensions by letting the coach know you are aware you screwed up; I've never had that go bad when I've done it. Then again, I don't recall doing that with the same coach twice. And usually, it was a matter of getting straight lined, or acknowledging to the winning coach in a blowout that I may have missed a borderline travel on the losing team. (the expected thing around here whether I agree or not)
I was only repsonding to the narrow subject of whether you were "baiting" a coach in regards to the "fouls are 9 to 2" comment. But you are right, if the reason the fouls are 9 to 2 is because you and your crew have screwed up 5 or 6 of those calls, then I wouldn't recommend answering in that manner either.

In terms of the OP, I agree with you that occasionally admitting an obvious mistake can go a long way towards a good coach/official relationship. And, as others have already mentioned, it must be used vary sparingly.

(Used with permission.)